Cold and flu season is here and so is my arsenal. Every year before the season begins (or after it starts lol) I began preparing for the possibility of my family getting sick. This year we’ve already had a pretty fun cold come through our family. One that knocked 4 of my 5 girls down. Runny noses, fevers, and throwing up from the crazy amount of mucous their little bodies were producing.
Vapor rub is a must during this season as far as I’m concerned.
I was a Vicks Vapor Rub girl growing up. My mom loved that stuff. It wasn’t until last year that I discovered what it was made of and that it wasn’t necessarily something I wanted to use on my family. Especially when I found out that there have been cases where it has hindered a sick baby’s breathing as well as adults. (this was using both the infants and also the adults) Don’t take my word on it, google it. It isn’t pretty.
I began looking for an alternative, (after already buying a brand new jar of each type of Vicks) and low and behold women all over the world were smarter than me. They already knew that Vicks wasn’t really great for us or our precious babies. With this being said, I found what seemed to be endless recipes for homemade vapor rub. I settled on this one and we all love it! My kiddos actually ask for it. I found it so long ago that I don’t even remember where I got it. Just know, I didn’t create this. 🙂 The credit belongs to some smart mama who was well advanced in her healthy walk before I was in mine.
I would totally hug this woman if I could!
You will need:
- 2 parts coconut oil
- 1 part beeswax (I have made this using both pastilles or a 1 oz little bar)
- Eucalyptus essential oil (about 10 drops per ounce)
- White Camphor Essential Oil (about 5 drops per ounce)
- Melt the coconut oil and beeswax in a double boiler (You can really use any pan you’d want. I use a double boiler so my ingredients aren’t directly on the heat)
- Then add the essential oils.
- Pour into your metal tins or containers. (You can purchase metal tins at most health food stores. If you don’t have one by you, you can order them online. Google metal tins and find the best price for you. They’re everywhere:)
- Let it cool for 10-15 minutes voila, homemade vapor rub. It really couldn’t be more simple!